I’m aware a lot of people are now participating in what they call “Meatless Monday”, so today I am sharing one of my favourite snacks – Roasted chick peas!!
Anyone who knows me personally knows how much I am obsessed with chick peas. If chick peas is in the recipe – count me in. This snack is already pretty well-known and super simple to make.
Now, I’ll tell you how I make mine but you do not necessarily need to use these spices for your chick peas. When I first started making these, the recipe I found only called for olive oil, salt and pepper. Each time I made a batch, I would experiment with different spices until I found a combination I really enjoyed. The one I’m sharing today is my favourite one. I definitely recommend you playing aorund with the spices until you find what your palette enjoys!
How to make Roasted Chick Peas a la Catarina:
– Pre-heat the oven to 425F and set the timer to 20 mins (if your toaster oven/oven asks to set the time while pre-heating or after the oven has heated… All depends on your oven!)
- In a bowl, pour two cans of chick peas in. Drizzle with olive oil and mix with a wooden spoon. You do not need a lot of olive oil!
- Add in the salt and pepper. I then add in paprika and cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper is pretty spicy so be careful of how much you add in – a little goes a long way! Mix the ingredients all together until it’s as evenly distributed as it can get.
- Take a baking pan and evenly distribute the chick peas so they lay flat on the surface and once the oven has heated up, place it in for 20 mins.
- Depending on each oven, it’ll roast the chick peas quicker than others. I personally like my chick peas really crispy so I keep my eye on them to ensure they don’t burn. If you want yours softer and not as crispy, take them out at around the time where it says there are 6-8 minutes left. Otherwise, keep them in the full 20!